David joined Shiff & Company in 2014 from a top tier international law firm where he advised in a wide range of complex intellectual property disputes for large Australian and multi-national corporations. Intellectual property disputes and negotiations in patent and copyright law and confidentiality comprise areas of particular expertise and interest.Recent matters
Highlights from his career include:
- Succeeding in patent infringement proceedings in the Federal Court (concerning new dental technologies).
- Acting in a significant arbitration proceeding regarding gas supply contracts, before Sir Daryl Dawson and David Jackson QC.
- Assisting a client to defend copyright infringement proceedings in the Federal Court (concerning software used in high-frequency trading on the stock exchange).
- Successfully defending breach of confidence and copyright infringement claims brought against Telstra Corporation.
- Developing patent strategies for a major food and beverage company and for a pharmaceutical business using thalidomide to treat serious cancers.
- Working on one of the largest class actions in Australia, the Centro proceedings.
David has provided pro bono advice through the Arts Law Centre of Australia and volunteers with Vision Australia.
03 8611 0411